Home
Tiree
Map
Collections
News
Weather
About
Others
Contact

Tiree Pics > Other Collections > Skerryvore Lighthouse

Skerryvore Lighthouse - Click to enlarge!
August 2005

Skerryvore Lighthouse - Click to enlarge!
August 2005

Skerryvore Lighthouse - Click to enlarge!
August 2005

Skerryvore Lighthouse - Click to enlarge!
August 2005

Tiree from Skerryvore - Click to enlarge!
Tiree from Skerryvore - August 2005

Basking Shark, Tiree - Click to enlarge!
Basking Shark - August 2005

Skerryvore Lighthouse lies 17km south west of Tiree. The name comes from the Gaelic sgeir meaning rock and mhor meaning big, which is pronouced with a 'v'. This big rock refers to the treacherous reef which the lighthouse marks.

With increasing sea trade from Scotland to North America in the early 19th century it became imperative to clearly mark the reef which had claimed many ships. Skerryvore was constructed of Mull granite by a team headed by Alan Stevenson (uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson, the writer) from 1838 to 1844 and stands 48m high. On the 1841 Census Skerryvore features as the residence, at the time of Census, of a number on construction workers and Alan Stevenson himself!

The land base for both construction and later maintenance was at Hynish on the southwest corner of Tiree.

Skerryvore Lighthouse can be visited with Tiree based Skippinish Sea Tours.

These images are strictly copyright. You must not use these anywhere without first seeking permission.

Tiree Images .com - Jim Murdoch © 2011